About Me

Lubbock (From Houston), Texas, United States
I am a recovering addict/alcoholic and have been sober since 8/15/2003

Friday, June 13, 2008

Triggers and other strange things related to guns and substance abuse

Saying that this is a trigger or that is a trigger or when I do this I want to use seems entirely too time consuming. If I made a list of every little thing that has or may trigger me weather its related to drugs, alcohol, or fast food I would be here all morning and probably end up missing my test. Instead I always carry with me in my head and in my heart a plan of action. What am I going to do if I get triggered? Call my sponsor or a close friend, go to my home group or a local coffee shop, and get out of my head. I cannot predict when I may get triggered because to be honest it happens several times each day. If I were to try and avoid triggers I would end up locking myself in a closet only to be triggered again when I looked at my arms. I can no longer life in fear of the next drink or trigger or happy meal or cigarette, but I can be prepared to act if and when I feel compelled to use.

Ode to Tobacco
So goodbye old friend, sweet nicotine how I will miss you so, clogging my sinuses early every morning and polluting each of my blacked lungs, I cannot say if we shall see each other again somewhere along this endless cycle of relapse and recovery. The cost has again begun to outweigh the benefit and therefore most bid yey a due. No more sweet nights of gossiping hens, coffee, and cigarettes. In saying goodbye I wish to leave you with this song.

Rufus Wainwright- Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk


We are continually faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as insoluble problems.
-- John W. Gardner

No comments: