About Me

Lubbock (From Houston), Texas, United States
I am a recovering addict/alcoholic and have been sober since 8/15/2003

Thursday, May 24, 2007

Im back!!!

Well, I survived my road trip and had a wonderful time. I am not really sure what I was looking for when I left Lubbock in mid May but I knew I was missing something. After arriving in Dillon, Montana and spending a day with my mother I knew something was wrong. I could not put my finger on it but i was sure she was hiding something from me. After hours prying, she finally spilled her guts and let me know what was going on. At this point she decided that she wanted to go away for a day or 2 until things cooled off around town. After spending several hours with her in the car she opened up to me and I actually had the opportunity to be of service to her. Are relationship is usually a one way street, she is usually the wise sage and I am the humble student seeking her advice on everything from pot roasts to who I should vote for in the next election. After giving her some good old AA/Alanon advice I realised that our relationship would never be the same again. I have finally found what I have been craving for as long as I have been sober. An adult relationship with my mother. I am still new at it and every time she calls me for advice I am still a little weirded out. I guess I am at the point in recovery where I have enough experience in life that I can actually provide practical advice to others. What a wonderful place to be.Getting sober at 19 I never really felt like I had enough life experience to be able to relate to most other alcoholics. Now at 23 I have experience with all sorts of life situations and dilemmas. It good to finally feel like I have something good contribute to the world. God knows I took for so long it is about time I started giving back. That's all for now.

Reed Jackson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome to hear buddy, as for me, I've been exchanging advice w/ my mom most of my life LOL, dont ask where I got that experience you speak of...I swear I know WAY more than a person my age SHOULD know about things...but hey, it has helped in the past (even if a little complicated here and there)