About Me

Lubbock (From Houston), Texas, United States
I am a recovering addict/alcoholic and have been sober since 8/15/2003

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The sober horse thief

So I survived summer I. now I am having trouble slowing down to enjoy the short few weeks I have until summer II begins. I’ve gotten so used to running at full steam that I am not sure what to with all this free time. I have tried reading, cleaning, playing with the dog, watching TV and nothing seems to work. When I discussed the fact that I was reading 4 books at once with my sponsor she asked if perhaps I was trying to keep myself distracted. There it is, another moment of clarity, don’t blink or you may miss it. My being over productive is just a way of avoiding taking that look hard look at my behavior. What I did before I got into recovery isn’t that scary; I’ve dealt with it and moved on. What truly scares me is taking a look at my behavior in recovery. I had an excuse before recovery; I mean does it really count if I was in a blackout? Being of sober mind and body for almost 5 years, I still behave like an alcoholic tornado wrecking havoc on the lives of those around me on a somewhat regular basis. I guess this leads me back to an old AA adage, “what do you get when you sober up a horse thief? A sober horse thief.” I take this to mean, just because I’m sober doesn’t mean I stop being a jackass. I guess this is just another “phase of my development” or “an opportunity for growth”. With that I guess ill close, I’ve run out of things to say, but I would like to quote a friend. I can’t remember exactly how he put it but it went something like this “I don’t walk through adversity, I run through it, screaming with my arms flailing!” so I guess this is me flailing. Lol.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

[B]NZBsRus.com[/B]
Lose Idle Downloads With NZB Downloads You Can Swiftly Find Movies, Console Games, MP3s, Applications and Download Them at Maxed Out Speeds

[URL=http://www.nzbsrus.com][B]Newsgroup[/B][/URL]

Anonymous said...

It isn't hard at all to start making money online in the underground world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat team[/URL], Don’t feel silly if you have no clue about blackhat marketing. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or little-understood ways to produce an income online.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your post, and your blog. There are a number of different treatment programs and approaches to support people suffering from substance abuse disorders who decide to get help. I’ve found Silver Hill Hospital's website to be very informative about adult and adolescent residential programs. Blogging about substance abuse is a great way to help yourself and others. Keep up the good work.